My career as an interior designer

My career as an interior designer

My career as an interior designer

A hypertext narrative by

Mélysa Bolduc

Created with

The Virtual Writing Tutor Grammar Checker

Next

Word count: 2638

Choice count: 30

Section count: 21

Image count: 17

Error count: 1

Field Related Analysis

Education : 107 matches

(ability, activity, cegep, choice, class, classmates, courses, field, first, head, high school, homework, learn, learned, learning, management, mindset, school, semester, student, students, teachers, technology, test, trainee, training)

Dance : 33 matches

(back, face, follow, forward, out, position, show, shows, technique, through, together)

Paramedics : 27 matches

(arm, care, hospital, medicine, nurse, nurses, practice, profession, shift, sleep, trainee, volunteer)

Target Structure: (37 matches)

come in handy (1 match)

came in handy (1 match)

cursory (1 match)

dead-end job (1 match)

deterred (1 match)

drawback (1 match)

dreading (1 match)

flirtation (1 match)

foot in the door (1 match)

in-depth (1 match)

ins-and-outs (1 match)

intern (1 match)

internship (1 match)

interns (1 match)

invaluable (1 match)

learning the ropes (1 match)

learned the ropes (1 match)

maddening (1 match)

on-the-job-training (1 match)

overtime (4 matches)

overwhelmed (1 match)

perpetrator (1 match)

premium wage (1 match)

purpose (1 match)

put aside (1 match)

recipient (1 match)

sexual harassment (4 matches)

test drive (1 match)

though (2 matches)

thoughtful (1 match)

time management (1 match)

trainee (1 match)

wage (2 matches)

volunteer (12 matches)

volunteers (1 match)

volunteering (1 match)

abroad (4 matches)

Next

My career as an interior designer

After high school, I have to make a choice.

When I was in my last year of high school, I had to make a choice for the following years. It was difficult for me to have to choose, already at the age of 16, what I was going to practice as a profession for a very large part of my life. I was interested in interior design at the time, so I had to choose the path I would follow; the DEP in interior design, or the interior designs technique at CEGEP.

Choice 1 : I choose to do a DEP in interior design.

Choice 2 : I choose to do the interior design technique.

high school graduated

I choose to do a DEP in interior design.

I chose to continue my studies at a professional school to do the DEP of one and a half years in interior design. So, I had to choose where I would stay during my studies because the school was too far away from my parents to travel with my car every day; in an apartment near the school with a roommate or alone in the basement of a house rented by students.

Choice 1 : I lived in an apartment near the professional school.

Choice 2 : I lived in the basement of a rented house.

I choose to do the interior design technique.

I chose to continue my studies at Trois-Rivieres's CEGEP in interior design technology. The comments on this school are excellent and the teachers seem very attentive to their students. However, from the first week of school, I did not like the program. I find the courses long and boring. Besides, I don’t like the energy of my classmates. Do I stay and finish the semester to see if there is any improvement during the next few weeks, or I leave?

Choice 1 : I continue the technique and finish the session.

Choice 2 : I’m dropping the technique.

I choose the restaurant where my friend is already working.

For my first shift at the restaurant, I had to have some training before I started working on my own. I had a humiliating moment during my on-the-job training yesterday at my full-time job in a restaurant. During my on-the-job training, I was earning a wage, so I had to do a great job even if I was a trainee. In the morning, the oldest waitress of the place showed me the ins-and-outs of the main tasks I would have to do during my shifts. In the afternoon, I had to welcome and serve clients myself under the supervision of another waitress. I was about to bring the first plate to a table when I noticed that my shoelace was undone. I put back the plate on the counter, and I leaned over to reattach it. I got up fast because I didn’t want to keep my customers waiting. My head hit the hand of the waitress who was passing by at the same time, and I ended up with my hair full of pasta. The drawback of this situation was that all the waitresses were overloaded with work at this moment of the day. I just left the restaurant and never came back at this place.

Choice 1 : After high school, I have to make a choice.

I lived in an apartment near the professional school.

My first week in my new apartment was a bit strange and very unfamiliar since I didn’t know my roommate at all. He was a boy who went to the same school as I was. He studied as a shipwright. To be honest, I thought he was pretty cute. He was very shy, so we didn’t talk much at first. After three weeks of rooming, I decided that I would try to find out a little more about him and offer him an activity. Was I going to ask him to go out for a drink or go for a hike?

Choice 1 : Asked him out for a drink.

Choice 2 : Asked him out for a hike.

I lived in the basement of a rented house.

My first week was very long in my new room. The owners of the house where I live are really strange and very noisy at night. Since I got here, I haven’t had a good night’s sleep. I call my mom every day crying because I don’t feel so good in this place. I have no choice but to get used to this possibility since I signed up to stay for at least the entire first session.

Write a choice here.

Asked him out for a drink.

One morning, I took my courage with both hands and asked him if he was interested in going out for a drink with me that night. At this exact moment, his face turned red like a tomato, and he told me in a brawl that he was not interested in women. I was really embarrassed, so I told him that my invitation was not for a date, but for a friendly date. That night, we finally went out for several drinks and since that day, we’ve been best friends.

Choice 1 : After high school, I have to make a choice.

Asked him out for a hike.

One morning, I took my courage with both hands and asked him if he was interested in going on a hike with me that afternoon. He tells me in a very uncomfortable way that he does not like to do sports. He then suggests that we go out for a drink. Very surprised, I told him that I love the idea and that I was excited to get to know him better during that night. We finally went out to the bar near our apartment and met other young people from our school. We had a wonderful evening.

Choice 1 : After high school, I have to make a choice.

I continue the technique and finish the session.

I decided to take my studies seriously and to apply myself in my courses to have a good R-Quote, even though I am not sure to continue in this field. I really want to put efforts thorough this semester. I think that the most important thing to not put aside is the time management. I normally do some of the tasks cursory. I am sure that with a great ability to use my time effectively, and productively I can contain some effort from the beginning to the end of the semester. I am thoughtful to every detail my teachers say to me during class, and I take care of taking notes when it’s necessary. Though the challenges and the lot of maddening homework during these months, I am trying to become a straight A’s student.

Choice 1 : After high school, I have to make a choice.

I’m dropping the technique.

I decided to leave the technique and do something else while I find what I really want to do as a profession. I have heard about a volunteer program in poorer countries, and I am interested, but I have a lot of questions, and fears. My second choice is to find a job and to collect money to pay for the future studies I will decide to do.

Choice 1 : I choose to volunteer abroad.

Choice 2 : I choose to find a job in Quebec.

I choose to volunteer abroad.

I am interested in volunteering abroad with a program in my high school. I am very skeptical because I never traveled without my parents for more a week. Everyone tells me that the advantages of this kind of trip make us grow. For example, it is a great way to grow your mindset and to learn a lot on yourself. It would be invaluable to be a volunteer to help a community in another country, but I see some disadvantages, and it stops me going forward. A friend of mine volunteered last year, so I asked her about the insecurities I have with this trip. She said to me that if I want to be part of the next volunteers of the high school, I will have to be ready to do all in-depth because I must be ready for many eventualities. She gave me the advice to find a travel advantage for every disadvantage I might encounter. Finally, she really encourages me to go through the process and to volunteer abroad. I understand that this is a temporary thing and that there will be no premium wage or money in exchange. Therefore, I understood that I would come out a winner in one way or another because I will help people who are in a dead-end job position. So, the purpose why I finally decided to invest me 100% in this adventure is to face my fears and make me grow in a different way. However, I have to choose the destination, or I will volunteer. I hesitate between Guatemala or Haiti.

Choice 1 : I choose to go volunteer in Guatemala.

Choice 2 : I choose to go volunteer in Haiti.

I choose to find a job in Quebec.

After examining the job opportunities available to me, I have to choose to be a waitress at a restaurant near my home or at a restaurant where my friend is already working.

Choice 1 : I choose the restaurant where my friend is already working.

Choice 2 : I choose the restaurant near my home.

I choose to go volunteer in Guatemala.

I chose to volunteer in Guatemala because it is a very poor country that needs some help. I will spend a month in an orphanage to build a school and entertain the children who live there. I am very looking forwards to help these people who really do not have an easy life in this country.

Choice 1 : After high school, I have to make a choice.

I choose to go volunteer in Haiti.

I chose to volunteer in Haiti because it is a country where my sister had already visited. She told me several stories about these people who are really malnourished and poorly housed. I am going to give them the help they need by making them good meals for two months. I am very looking forwards to see their poverty first-hand and to providing as much help as I can during these two months with them.

Choice 1 : After high school, I have to make a choice.

I decided to say yes to work overtime.

At my new job, Jeremy is my boss. I’m very dreading towards him. It’s been one week since I arrived, and I already feel like a prey for Jeremy. Yesterday, I surprised him many times looking at me while I was working. His eyes were intense, I felt super uncomfortable. This week, he had lots of misconducts towards me and the other women in the restaurant. Sandra and I were the most recipient for his flirtation words and his physical touching. I am really deterred that a married man is a perpetrator and that he sexually harasses young girls like me. Tonight, he asked me to meet him in his office. I wasn’t very comfortable going alone, but I took my courage with both hands, and I went and told myself that nothing was going to happen. Once again, I was treated with few caresses on my arm and several inappropriate compliments. This time, I really didn’t feel well, and I have to decide whether to tell my parents or not.

Choice 1 : I decided to tell my parents about the sexual harassment.

Choice 2 : I decided to keep the sexual harassment I experienced for myself.

I decided to refuse to work overtime.

I’ve already worked a lot of hours this week, so I’ve made the decision to relax tonight and take some time to see my loved ones. My cousin called me earlier this afternoon and invited me to spend the evening with her. I’m very tired, so I wonder if I’m staying home listening to my shows or spending time with her.

Choice 1 : I went to my cousin's house to pass time with her.

Choice 2 : I decided to stay at home to relax.

I decided to tell my parents about the sexual harassment.

I decided to tell my parents about the actions and words my boss had towards me that made me uncomfortable. They immediately forced me to go and denounce him because he was probably doing the same thing to other young girls. They found the situation unattractive and forced me to resign. So, I decided to call the other restaurant back and tell them I was finally taking the job.

Choice 1 : I choose the restaurant where my friend is already working.

I decided to keep the sexual harassment I experienced for myself.

Since I like the other employees I work with and the salary is very good for a young girl of my age, I decided not to tell my parents and to face my boss alone if ever a situation, or I did not feel comfortable had to happen again.

Choice 1 : After high school, I have to make a choice.

I went to my cousin's house to pass time with her.

During our evening together, my cousin told me about her experience during her internship at the hospital. She was in a hospital learning the ropes for her future job. From the moment she started my day, she was ready to come in handy to the nurses and to learn the basics of the trade. She said it was super special to be an intern among all the staffs there. At some moments she was overwhelmed with all the information they were giving her during her on-the-job-training, but most of the time she had lots of fun with her colleagues. She felt stressful all day long because she was in a test drive to know if that’s really the job she wanted to do later in her life. But having a foot in the door of this hospital was a big opportunity to show that she will be a good nurse and an excellent co-worker to work with in the next few years. At the end of the day, the nurse who was in charge of her say that, among all the interns she ever had, she was the most hardworking. She loved that during the time she learned the ropes of the job, she came in handy for all the staffs today. In conclusion, she hoped really hard that this will happen someday in her real life. She ended her day happy as never, and she wishes that for every other day in her life. Her experience surprised me and made me want to continue my studies in medicine.

Choice 1 : After high school, I have to make a choice.

I decided to stay at home to relax.

After the big week I had, I rewarded myself by staying home and listening to my shows. I went to the grocery store to buy some candy and popcorn and took some time to rest and get my strength back for the weekend.

Choice 1 : After high school, I have to make a choice.

I choose the restaurant near my home.

After my first week of work there, my boss asked me to work extra time tonight, and I hesitate to take those extra hours to make more money or refuse to take time for me this Friday night.

Choice 1 : I decided to say yes to work overtime.

Choice 2 : I decided to refuse to work overtime.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Presentation!

Career Summary by Mel